Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
While camping out with my son in the middle of Death Valley, we were limited on what we had to cook with. No Frying Pan or pot, only a small charcoal grill and Aluminium Foil. For breakfast we halved oranges, removed fruit, and filled with scrambled eggs. Also, we had bisquik mix added to more halved oranges. Maybe it was waking up on the cold desert ground, and rekindling the campfire that made this so good. Since I live in Sunny Florida now, I think the name is appropriate.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Slice Blood Oranges in half and remove fruit as you would with a grape fruit knife, leaving sections intact.
- Separate and save 24 Whole Spinach Leaves.
- In a bowl, add Eggs, 1/4 Cup Milk. Mix (or whip) thoroughly.
- Stir-in finely chopped Sun-Dried Tomatoes, finely chopped remaining Spinach, half of Grated Asiago Cheese.
- Fold in 1/8 Teaspoon of Orange Zest from Blood Orange Rind.
- Pour mix into 6 halves of Oranges (removed of fruit), and cover with foil leaving top half not touching Orange (making Tee-Pees).
- Place in oven middle rack for 15 minutes.
- Remove from middle rack, remove foil, and Set on Broiler rack and Broil for one minute or until golden brown.
- Basic Biscuit Mix:.
- Add flour, salt, 1/8 teaspoon orange zest, baking powder, butter (shortening)and milk added a couple drops at a time.
- Mix just until they stick together.
- Drop it in the remaining 6 orange halves and bake for 12 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Serve hot on a Colorful Plate, one Egg Blossom, and one Biscuit Blossom ,garnished with Orange and Strawberry sections on top of Spinach leaves (2). Sprinkle with remaining finely grated cheese.