Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Posted for ZWT II - Africa/Middle East, from Bon Appetit's "Tastes of the World". Because of the crecent shape, these tender, filled pastries are called "gazelle horns" in Morocco. They have an almond paste center and are lightly scented with orange blossom water, an ingredient often used in Middle Eastern Cooking. Orange Blossom Water can be purchased at most liquor Stores or in the liquor department at most supermarkets. These can be made 1 day ahead.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (2 sticks)
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- 1⁄2 cup blanched almond, toasted
- 1 (7 ounce) package almond paste
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons orange blossom water
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- For Pastry:.
- Combine flour and salt in large bowl. Add butter and rub with figertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add enough ice water by tablespoonfuls just to bind dough, tossing mixture with fork. Divide dough into 2 pieces. Lightly dust dough with flour and flatten each piece into rectangle. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Finely grind almonds in processor. Add almond paste, butter, 2 tablespoons sugar, egg and 1 tablespoon orange blossom water. Process until smooth. Transfer to small bowl and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F Roll out pastry rectangle on lightly floured surface to 13x15 inch rectangle. Trim to 12 inch square. Cut into sixteen 3 inch squares. Place 1 teaspoon filling 1/2 inch from 1 corner to 1 pastry square. Beginning at same corner, roll corner of dough tightly over filling and continue rolling as for jellyroll. Pinch ends firmly to seal in filling. Gently shape into crecent. Place crescent on large baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough squares and filling. Roll, cut, fill and shape remaining pastry rectangle. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly.
- While pastries are still warm, brush lightly with remaining 2 tablespoons orange blossom water. Turn pastries 1 at a time in powdered sugar to coat. Transfer to rack and cool completely.
- Store in airtight container at room temperature.