Recipe by Margie99
When I got this recipe from a lady at church it was called orange brownies but since there is no chocolate I thought blondies was more appropriate. It comes from a Lady and Son's cookbook. It also came with a glaze but instead she uses a cream cheese frosting. It is rich but very good, this comes from someone that only tried them because there was no chocolate at the buffet table.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Absolutely loved these & although I pretty much followed the recipe on down, I was quite generous with the amounts of orange zest! We both loved the wonderful orange flavor & especially the ORANGE cream cheese frosting! As much as I enjoy my chocolate fixes, this is definitely a recipe I'll be making again! [Made & reviewed in Bargain Basement tag}
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure orange extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (16 ounce) box powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9x2 pan.
- Stir together flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl; add butter, eggs, extract and zest. Using a handheld mixer, beat until well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until light golden brown and set.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- For the frosting. Mix all ingredients together in a med bowl. If the icing is too soft, add a little more powdered sugar. Frost the cooled cake.