Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These yummy biscuits are a great breakfast treat!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Combine flour, baking powder, 2 teaspoons sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter until the mixture is crumbly. Make a well in the center and add orange peel, orange juice, and milk. Stir until dough just clings together.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead 10-12 strokes. Roll or pat dough to 1/2" thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2" biscuit cutter.
- Put biscuits onto a greased baking sheet. Brush tops with orange juice and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
This had a nice flavor and looked lovely but we found the texture to be a bit dense and the biscuit chewy. I was careful not to overwork the dough so was surprised by the chewiness, Most baking powder biscuits use around 1/3 cup butter or shortening to 2 cups of flour so I wonder if a little more fat would help improve the texture. Made for ZWT 8 by one of the Wild Bunch
Yummylicious!!! So fast and easy to make. The recipe can easily be halved. I used Splenda Blend in place of the sugar. I also used a little more orange peel and threw in a dash of orange extract. The biscuits rose beautifully and were delicious. A little butter and I was in biscuit heaven. As easy as these are to whip up, I will be making them on a regular basis. Thanks, loof...this one is going straight into the keeper file. Made for December 2012 Aus/NZ Swap.
Great biscuits with lovely orange flavor! I made it as written and they were delicious. I served them with bacon and scrambled eggs for breakfast. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT 8- France.