Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
These biscuits are a special treat with a ham dinner, but they're also delicious just by themselves.
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- melted butter or margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a saucepan, combine orange juice, 1/2 cup sugar, butter and orange peel. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Divide among 12 muffin cups; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- With a fork, stir in milk until mixture forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 1 minute.
- Roll into a 9-in. square, about 1/2-in. thick.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Combine the cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over butter. Roll up.
- Cut into 12 slices, about 3/4 inches thick.
- Place slices, cut side down, over orange mixture in muffin cups.
- Bake at 450° for 12-16 minutes.
- Cool for 2-3 minutes; remove from pan.
They were fantastic will make them again definately!