Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons orange juice
- Mix together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Blend in the butter until a meal-like texture forms.
- Beat the egg.
- Add the zest and egg to the mixture until a dough forms.
- Knead briefly.
- Roll the dough into a 12-inch cylinder.
- Place on parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Cut, on the bias, into 1/2-inch wide slices.
- Place the slices on the parchment and bake for 20 minutes longer.
- Combine the powdered sugar and orange juice.
- Brush onto the biscotti.
- Cool before serving.
These are great! Not necessarily a dipping cookie, the icing is the best part! I increase the orange juice, as it takes about half an orange for the zest and half an orange produces more juice than called for (waste not want not!). You can decrease the second baking time for a softer, more crumbly cookie. Works well doubled too. Leave room on the tray, these spread.
I substituted orange extract for the orange zest (I don't like the chunks of orange in stuff) and I added some almond slices to the dough. I also left off the icing as I thought it would be too sweet and not as good for dipping in tea.
I love orange anything and this recipe is great, I tried two others before this one and while they too were good this one is going into my "stash" of favorites. Thanks for sharing....Lee