These crisp, crunchy cookies are based on the classic Italian version. These contain no nuts and are a slightly softer than the original version, which makes them more child friendly (mine adore them!). Try them with your mid morning cup of coffee..
- Preheat the oven to gas 3/160°C/325°F.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat int the egg, then the orange rind, juice, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and polenta.
- Tip the mixture on to a lightly floured surface and knead. Place dough on the baking sheet and flatten with the palm of your hand to make a rectangle approx 25 x 18 cm.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then remove from the oven and leave to stand for 5 mins until slightly cooled. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut the mixture widthways into thin sticks about 1 cm wide.
- Space the cookies out slightly on the baking sheet, then bake for a further 20 minutes until crisp.
- When cool, dust with icing sugar.