Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a pound cake like bar that is easy to handle and not overly sweet. It's great for 1 to 2 year olds birthday parties, and of course a delicious treat for grown ups too! Adapted from the All Butter, Fresh Cream,, Sugar Packed No Holds Barred Baking Book by Judy Rosenberg.
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour (or just sift white flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Lightly grease a 15x10" jelly roll pan with butter or vegetable oil.
- To make cake:.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Using electric mixer on medium high speed, cream the butter, cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and orange zest together in a medium mixing bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Stop the mixer once or twice to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat on medium low speed until each yolk is partially blended, 10 seconds. Scrape the bowl after each addition.
- Now fold in half the dry ingredients with the spatula until partially incorporated, then turn the mixer to low and blend for a few seconds. Repeat with the remaining dry ingredients, blending 10 seconds with the mixer. Finish the mixing by hand with a few broad strokes of the spatula. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake until the cake is lightly golden, springs back to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Allow the cake to cool completely on a rack while preparing the glaze.
- Place all the ingredients for the glaze in a small bowl and stir heartily with a whisk until blended.
- Pour the glaze over the cake and spread it evenly with a frosting spatula. Allow the glaze to harden 3 to 4 hours before serving. Enjoy!
Loved this cake - I did add a little orange essence to the cake as I thought the orange flavour was too subtle. Very easy to make and a winner with all who tried it.