Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1 orange, juice of
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk (about)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- coarse decorator sugar, for topping
- Center a rack in the oven; preheat oven to 400°; butter or spray 12 regular-size muffin cups; place muffin pan on a baking sheet.
- Add orange juice to a large glass measuring cup; pour in enough buttermilk to make 1 cup; whisk in the eggs, honey, and melted butter; set aside.
- In a big bowl, rub the sugar and orange zest together with your fingertips until the sugar is moist and the fragrance of orange is strong.
- Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and, using a whisk or rubber spatula, gently but quickly stir to blend (don’t worry about being thorough, the batter will be lumpy and bubbly).
- Stir in the blueberries.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Bake 22-25 minutes; if you want to top the muffins with decorating sugar, sprinkle on the sugar after the muffins have baked 10 minutes.
- When fully baked, the muffins will be golden and springy to the touch and pick comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a rack; cool 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold.