Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Easy as anything to make and they taste so good. Great for hurried weeknights and big dinners when everythings in a rush. Use fresh beets if you like, just roast, peel, and use in the recipe.
- 1 (16 ounce) cansmall whole beets
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup orange juice, pulp-free
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- slivered orange rind (optional; for garnish)
- Heat brown sugar, vinegar, orange juice, and butter in a saucepan.
- Mix cornstarch with water in a small dish; stir into juice in pan and cook, stirring until sauce is thickened and bubbly.
- Drain beets and add beets to sauce, and cook until heated through.
- Serve beets garnished with slivers of orange peel, if desired.
These were pretty good. I used fresh boiled beets which I sliced. I used a tetra-pack orange juice and found the orange flavour was not quite intense enough for the beet flavour so I added a big glop of frozen orange juice concentrate, probably about a tbsp although I didn't measure. I would certainly make this dish again. I forgot to add the butter but I don't think I missed it and since we have some fat monitored diets in the family, it was probably a good thing to leave it out.
Terrific quick veggie dish. I halved the sauce ingredients and found that it made plenty of sauce for me. I also added a segmented orange along with the beets.
The sauce was excellent. I used arrowroot instead of cornstarch. The vinegar I chose was red wine vinegar. This was even delicious when refrigerator-cold.This recipes yields a lot of sauce. I want to try it on chicken. Thanks so much Sue.