Recipe by Derf
Beets and orange seem to be a natural together. Very good side dish from Cooking Light.
Top Review by MizzNezz
Lovely side dish! I used my canned beets, so I had this done really quick. The orange is a VERY good compliment to the beets. I added 1 teaspoon sugar to get a sweet tart taste. I used toasted sliced almonds. Thanks for posting this!
- 2 large beets (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 3⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped almonds, , toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Leaving root and 1 inch of stem on beets, trim tops and scrub with a brush.
- Place in a large saucepan, cover with water.
- Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour or until tender.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Drain, cool.
- Trim off beet roots, rub off skins.
- Cut beets into cubes to measure 3 1/2 cups.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick frypan over medium heat.
- Add beets, rind, and next 4 ingredients, (rind through pepper.) Bring to boil, cook until liquid is the consistency of a thin syrup (about 12 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with almonds.