Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Beets and orange seem to be a natural together. Very good side dish from Cooking Light.
Make and share this Orange Beets recipe from Food.com.
- Leaving root and 1 inch of stem on beets, trim tops and scrub with a brush.
- Place in a large saucepan, cover with water.
- Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour or until tender.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Drain, cool.
- Trim off beet roots, rub off skins.
- Cut beets into cubes to measure 3 1/2 cups.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick frypan over medium heat.
- Add beets, rind, and next 4 ingredients, (rind through pepper.) Bring to boil, cook until liquid is the consistency of a thin syrup (about 12 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
Lovely side dish! I used my canned beets, so I had this done really quick. The orange is a VERY good compliment to the beets. I added 1 teaspoon sugar to get a sweet tart taste. I used toasted sliced almonds. Thanks for posting this!
We love beets and this is a good recipe. I peeled the beets before cooking them, they were very large beets and would have taken forever to cook.. I left out the almonds it would have been a nice final touch (Iforgot to buy them) Thanks Dorothy for another winner
Oooh, this is so delicious! I've made it over and over again, sometimes topped with chopped pecans, or walnuts, but I love to use pistachios the most of all, the deep red really sets off the bright green of the chopped nuts... Yum!!!