1 hr 45 mins
In the same family as carrot cake, this version is lower in calories and fat, but still flavorful and moist. See who guesses the secret ingredient! This cake improves in flavor 2-3 days after baking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup golden raisin
- 1/3 cup dark raisin
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs, seperated, let whites come to room temp
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (Light will work too)
- 1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 3 beets, peeled and grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Bring raisins and orange juice to a boil in a non-reactive sauce pan, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, strain, retaining liguid, set aside raisins and return liquid to sauce pan simmer and reduce to about 3 TBLS (about 7 mins).
- 3Grease a 9" springform pan, line with parchment, grease and dust with flour.
- 4Stir together dry ingredients except sugars, set aside.
- 5Whisk the yolks slightly then whisk in oil 1 TBLS at a time, continuing till yolks are emulsified. Stir in zest, brown sugar, beets and raisins; fold in flour mixture.
- 6In a seperate bowl beat whites until soft peaks form, sprinke in white sugar a little and then beat for 1 minute more.
- 7Stir 1/4 whites into the cake batter to lighten, then fold in the the rest of the whites, pour into springform pan and level.
- 8Bake just until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 45-55 minutes.
- 9Cool for 10 minutes; carefully remove cake from pan and place on serving plate, reheat orange juice then brush over the top of the warm cake.
- 10Store in an airtight container.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange-Beet Cake
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 187.1
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 39.9 mg
- Sodium 142.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 21.1 g
- Protein 3.3 g