Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
In the same family as carrot cake, this version is lower in calories and fat, but still flavorful and moist. See who guesses the secret ingredient! This cake improves in flavor 2-3 days after baking.
- 1⁄3 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄3 cup dark raisin
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs, seperated, let whites come to room temp
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar (Light will work too)
- 1⁄3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 3 beets, peeled and grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring raisins and orange juice to a boil in a non-reactive sauce pan, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, strain, retaining liguid, set aside raisins and return liquid to sauce pan simmer and reduce to about 3 TBLS (about 7 mins).
- Grease a 9" springform pan, line with parchment, grease and dust with flour.
- Stir together dry ingredients except sugars, set aside.
- Whisk the yolks slightly then whisk in oil 1 TBLS at a time, continuing till yolks are emulsified. Stir in zest, brown sugar, beets and raisins; fold in flour mixture.
- In a seperate bowl beat whites until soft peaks form, sprinke in white sugar a little and then beat for 1 minute more.
- Stir 1/4 whites into the cake batter to lighten, then fold in the the rest of the whites, pour into springform pan and level.
- Bake just until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 45-55 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes; carefully remove cake from pan and place on serving plate, reheat orange juice then brush over the top of the warm cake.
- Store in an airtight container.
Outstanding cake, for sure! I'm big on raisins, so appreciated having them in this cake, but even more than that was the orange glaze ~ Loved that with the beets & raisins! I look forward to making this one again & again! Thanks for posting the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]