Recipe by Mamie37
By now you all know I love Parmigiano-Reggiano, the "King of Cheeses". Here's a lovely salad from a book on cheeses by Nancy Radke.
Top Review by Jenny Sanders
I served this over a bed of mixed greens. All the flavours played off each other very well, although I did think the cheese got a little lost in the crowd. I do love oranges in a salad and the contrast of the beets and oranges was particularly nice.
- 1 lb beet, cooked and sliced
- 3 oranges, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil or 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Pat beets dry.
- Arrange beets and orange slices on chilled plates.
- Toast walnuts in a preheated 350 degree oven until light golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Chop finely sprinkle over the beets and oranges.
- Whisk together orange juice, lemon juice and salt.
- Add oil in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly.
- Pour dressing over salad.
- Make 1/2 cup of thin slivers of Parmigiano-Reggiano with a vegetable peeler.
- Scatter over the salad.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.