Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Found this in a magazine and made a few changes to better suit my family. It's great for left over steak or for a quick week night meal. The original recipe called for coating the steak strips with a tablespoon of cornstarch. I skip this because I don't like the way it affects the texture of the meat but it does make for a nice thickened sauce so you may want to try it. You could also use cornstarch in the actual sauce to thicken it. Also, feel free to add onions or mushrooms or any other veggies you prefer.
- 2 cups cooked bulgur or 2 cups brown rice
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 lb round steak, cut into strips
- 12 ounces broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- salt and pepper
- Combine orange juice, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and ginger and set aside.
- Toss beef strips with cornstarch and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, combine broccoli with water.Bring to a boil and partially cover skillet with lid, steaming broccoli until crisp-tender, about 4-6 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- Wipe skillet out with papertowel and then heat 1 T of oil over high heat.
- When pan is very hot, add half of the beef.
- Cook until browned, 2-4 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon to plate with broccoli and cook other half of beef.
- When second batch of beef is done, return the first batch and the broccoli back to skillet.
- Add orange juice mixture and bell pepper.
- Continue cooking over high heat until sauce thickens, about 2-4 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
I made this for hubby and he loved it. I didn't get to sample any because I don't eat red meat, but hubby ate it all up before I got a chance to ask him what he thought of it. I found the recipe to be very quick to prepare and ready in no time. Thank you little_wing - *Made for Zaar World Tour 4*