Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
From Cook's Illustrated. You will need 2-3 medium oranges to yield the approximate amount of orange zest. Use peeler to remove zest, ensuring that some pith comes off with zest. Don't use low-sodium soy sauce for this recipe. For the orange zest, you need 10, 3" strips of orange zest, thinly sliced lengthwise (1/4 c) plus 1/4 c juice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef flap meat, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- orange zest
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame oil
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed seeded and sliced thin lengthwise
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 scallions, sliced thin on bias
- Cut steak along grain into 2 1/2 to 3 inch wide lengths. Holding knife at 45 degree angle, slice each piece against grain into 1/2 inch thick slices. Cut each slice lengthwise into 3 inch long and 1/2 inch wide strips. Toss beef with 1 T soy sauce in bowl. Add cornstarch and toss until evenly coated. Spread beef in single layer on wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet. Transfer sheet to freezer until meat is very firm but not completely frozen, about 45 minutes.
- Whisk remaining 2 T soy, orange juice, molasses, sherry, vinegar, and sesame oil together in bowl.
- Line large plate with double layer of paper towels. Heat oil in large dutch oven over medium heat until it reaches 375. Carefully add 1/3 of beef and stirring occasionally fry until golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes. Using spider, transfer meat to paper towel lined plate. Return oil to 375 and repeat twice. After frying, reserve 2 T oil.
- Heat reserved oil in 12" skillet over med-high until shimmering. Add zest and jalapeno and cook, stirring occasionally, until about half the zest is golden brown, 1 1/2 - 2 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes, cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is beginning to brown, about 45 seconds. Add soy mixture and cook 30 seconds. Off heat use spatula to scrape up any browned bits. Add beef and scallions and toss to coat. Transfer to platter and serve immediately.