Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 8 ounces top round steaks, cut up into 2 inch by 2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 eggs, whites only
- 6 tablespoons peanut oil
- 12 fluid ounces beef stock
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 dried red chili peppers, broken into pieces
- 8 slices orange rind (white pith removed)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk together the sherry, cornstarch, and egg whites until the mixture is foamy.
- Add the beef and toss to coat the pieces well; set aside.
- Heat 4 tablespoon peanut oil in wok.
- Fry quickly, just until crispy and browned, remove to wok rack to drain.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoon peanut oil to wok.
- Add orange rind and red peppers to hot oil in wok.
- Stir-fry until orange rind begins to darken and aroma from oil becomes pleasant.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until bubbly (add more beef stock if too thick).
- Add fried beef and toss to coat with sauce.
- Serve at once with steamed white rice.