Recipe by morgainegeiser
This is adapted from a sweet, rich soup from a Trinidad seafood recipe, this is the vegetarian version.
Top Review by Maryland Jim
I must admit I wasn't sure about this soup. But WOW, was I surprised. I did use fresh basil because I prefer the fresh herbs verse dries and I'm glad I did! This is one very nice soup which I served hot. Will definitely make it again and may try it cold. Made for ZWT5, Dining Daredevils.
- 4.92 ml vegetable oil
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 medium ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 9.85 ml dried basil
- 236.59 ml orange juice
- 12.32 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 0.59 ml pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and basil. Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat medium-low, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Place soup in a blender container and blend until smooth. Pour soup, a little at a time, through a sieve or strainer, back into saucepan. Press pulp through the stainer using the back of a spoon. Only the seeds should remain in the strainer, to be discarded.
- Stir in orange juice, sugar, salt and pepper into soup. Heat through.
- Serve hot or cold.