Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I tried Watermelon Basil Sorbet last year and now I have found this teasure! Adapted from Martha Stewart Living magazine.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup packed fresh basil leaf, plus
- basil sprig, for garnishing
- 5 cups fresh orange juice (aboutr 12 large oranges)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (coarse)
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar and 1 cup water to a simmer over medium low heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat. Stir in basil and let syrup stand for 15 minutes.
- Stir together orange juice, vanilla and salt in a medium bowl. Pour basil syrup through a fine sieve into the orange juice mixture; discard basil.
- Move mixture to a 9"x13" shallow nonreactive dish(glass is good). Chill in the freezer until edges are frozen, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove from freezer; scrape with a fork, pulling from the edges into center. Return to freezer. Repeat process every 30 minutes until the mix is the texture of shaved ice, about 4 hours. Spoon into serving bowls and garnish with basil sprigs. Enjoy!
Made & reviewed for ZWT 4 ~ Kumquat's Kookin' Kaboodles! I have a huge pot of basil on my counter & am always looking for interesting new recipes to put it in! This granita is juicy, refreshing & absolutely delicious - the basil really lifts the orange flavour. The whole family LOVES this! Thanks Sharon for a super recipe :)