Prep 15 mins
Cook 37 mins
I have so much basil growing I thought this would be a nice way to use it.
- 2 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, Cut into Bits and Softened
- 3⁄4 cup pine nuts, Toasted and Coarsely Chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1 medium orange, zest of
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Grease and lightly flour a baking sheet. Blend the flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Add the egg and orange juice, and beat the mixture until a dough begins to form.
- Add the butter, beating until it is just incorporated, and fold in the pine nuts, basil leaves, and orange zest.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, kneading it several times, then let it rest, covered with a kitchen towel, for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half and, with floured hands and working quickly on the prepared baking sheet, form each piece of dough into a log 12 inches long by 2 inches wide. Arrange the logs at least 3 inches apart on the middle rack of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until set and pale golden.
- Remove them from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. On a cutting board, cut the logs crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange the biscotti, cut side down, on the baking sheet, and bake them 10 to 12 minutes longer.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven, turn the biscotti over, and bake them a final 10 to 12 minutes. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.