MARIA MAC *'s Note:
I have so much basil growing I thought this would be a nice way to use it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, Cut into Bits and Softened
- 3/4 cup pine nuts, Toasted and Coarsely Chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1 medium orange, zest of
- 1Preheat the oven to 325.
- 2Grease and lightly flour a baking sheet. Blend the flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Add the egg and orange juice, and beat the mixture until a dough begins to form.
- 3Add the butter, beating until it is just incorporated, and fold in the pine nuts, basil leaves, and orange zest.
- 4Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, kneading it several times, then let it rest, covered with a kitchen towel, for 5 minutes.
- 5Divide the dough in half and, with floured hands and working quickly on the prepared baking sheet, form each piece of dough into a log 12 inches long by 2 inches wide. Arrange the logs at least 3 inches apart on the middle rack of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until set and pale golden.
- 6Remove them from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. On a cutting board, cut the logs crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange the biscotti, cut side down, on the baking sheet, and bake them 10 to 12 minutes longer.
- 7Remove the baking sheet from the oven, turn the biscotti over, and bake them a final 10 to 12 minutes. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange-Basil Biscotti
Serving Size: 1 (837 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 75.0
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 9.9 mg
- Sodium 50.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 1.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of