Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee, from her show Sandra's Money Saving MealsEpisode: Perfect Pasta. Yum, orange and basil!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, plus more for garnish
- 1 orange
- 1 (1 liter) bottle sparkling water (or seltzer)
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, add the water and sugar and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat, add the basil, and let cool. Strain out the basil and refrigerate until ready to use. Syrup will last up to 2 weeks in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
- Slice 1/4-inch thick slice from the center of the orange. Slice that into quarters and set aside for garnish. Squeeze the juice from the 2 remaining halves into a bowl.
- Pour 1 tablespoon orange juice and 1 tablespoon basil simple syrup into a champagne flute. Top with sparkling water.
- Garnish with a slice of orange and a basil leaf.