Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I don't eat shellfish, so I used imitation shrimp for this recipe. This recipe became one of my favorites the first time I tried it. It is low-fat and covers all 4 food groups.
- 1 lb ziti pasta or 1 lb other medium-shaped pasta, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 12 ounces frozen small shrimp, thawed
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch scallion, sliced
- 1 lb asparagus, cut into 2 inch lengths
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- salt and pepper
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, warm 1 teaspoon vegetable oil over high heat in a large skillet.
- Stir-fry the shrimp until firm, opaque and lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining teaspoon of vegetable oil to the pan and stir-fry the carrots for 2 minutes then add asparagus and scallions for another 3 to 4 minutes, until asparagus is tender-crisp.
- When pasta is done, drain it well.
- Combine all ingredients in the pasta pot and mix until warmed, about 2 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This was nice and light in flavor. Even though we enjoyed it, I felt it was missing something. :)