Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is low-fat and really good--moist, light dessert. Hope you all enjoy it!
Make and share this Orange Angel Food cake recipe from Food.com.
For the cake
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg whites, at room temperature (from about 1 dozen eggs)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄8 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 orange, zested
For the glaze
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or using a hand mixer), whip the egg whites until foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar and salt and continue whipping until soft peaks form.
- With the mixer running, gradually add 1 cup of the sugar and continue whipping until stiff and the sugar has dissolved, about 30 seconds.
- Sift the remaining 1/2 cup sugar with the pre-sifted cake flour 3 times, to aerate the mixture.
- Fold into the egg whites, then fold in the vanilla, and zest.
- Spoon the batter into ungreased mini tube pans.
- Bake until light golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool by turning the cake (in the pan) upside down until it cools to room temperature.
- Run a long, sharp knife blade around the cakes to loosen, then knock the cakes out onto a plate, or work them out with your fingers.
- The outside of the cake will remain in the pan leaving the cake whiter and more angelic-looking!
- Make the glaze: Stir the ingredients together until smooth.
- Dip the tops of the cakes in the glaze.
- Let set for at least 30 minutes before serving, or until the icing is hard.
- Serve with sorbet.