Recipe by HokiesMom
Found from a TOH e-newsletter submitted by J. Springer. This looks to be right up my alley for a dessert choice in the summer months. I've not personally made this one but do not want to lose the link to the recipe. Some of the cooking time is also time for chilling. ***Updated 8/2008 *** I made this cake recipe and it turned out fine. I did change one thing in that I used mandarin oranges for the navel orange in the garnishing but that was it. A big hit at our BBQ.
- 1 (16 ounce) package angel food cake mix
- 1 (1/3 ounce) package sugar-free orange gelatin
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk, cold
- 1 (1 ounce) package sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 (8 ounce) cartonfrozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 1 small navel orange, halved and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using an ungreased 10-in. tube pan.
- Immediately invert tube pan; cool completely.
- In a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; stir in cold water and set aside.
- Cut cake into 2-inch slices then arrange cake slices in a ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. dish.
- With a meat fork, poke holes about 2 in, apart into the cake then slowly pour gelatin over cake; chill until set.
- In a bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in extract. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Spread over cake.
- Garnish with orange slices and almonds.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.