Recipe by Katie'sMama
The first cake I ever made that actually turned out looking like a cake *and* tasting DIVINE. It's a variation of a hot milk cake. Takes a lot of time to make; this is not a project for the faint of heart. From Cooking Pleasures magazine. Cooking time includes cooling time.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut up
- 2 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 6 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 10 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- white chocolate curls
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F Spray bottom and sides of 2 9in round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottoms with parchment paper; spray parchment. Flour bottom and sides of pans.
- In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. In medium saucepan, combine milk 1/2 C butter, and 2 oz. white chocolate; heat over medium-low heat until butter and chocolate are melted and mixture is smooth and hot, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat eggs and sugar at medium speed 3-4 minuts or until thick, fluffy, and lightened in color. Beat in 1 t vanilla and 2 t orange peel. At low speed, beat in flour mixture until blended. Slowly beat in hot milk mixture until smooth; pour evenly into pans. Bake 30-35 minutes. Cool in pans on wire rack 20 minutes. Run knife around edges of pans to loosen cakes. Invert onto wire rack; remove parchment. Cool completely.
- To make frosting, fill medium saucepan 1/4 full with water; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat. Place 6 oz white chocolate in medium heatproof bowl, place over saucepan, making sure bowl does not touch water. STir frequentnly until chocolate is smooth and melted. Let cool slightly. In large bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/2 C butter at medium speed until blended and smooth. Beat in melted white chocolate until blended. Beat in 2 t vanilla and 1 t orange peel. At low speed, beat in 4 C of powdered sugar, adding additional powdered sugar if needed for spreadable consistency. Beat until blended and smooth.
- Place 1 cake layer on serving platter; spread top with 1 C of the frosting. Top with second layer. Spread cake sides with thin layer of frosting. Coat sides with another smooth layer of frosting. Spread remaining frosting over top. Spoon white chocolate curls over top of cake.