Prep 9 hrs
Cook 0 mins
- 6 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (cut into 8 pieces)
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1 graham cracker crumb crust
- Combine the eggs,sugar,orange zest,ginger and cardamom in a heavy medium sized saucepan and whisk the mixture until it is smooth.
- Add the orange juice and butter; cook the mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it is thickened, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Do not allow the mixture to come to a boil.
- Pour the orange curd through a fine mesh strainer into a glass bowl.
- Cover the surface with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate the orange curd until it is cold and thick, at least 3 hours and up to 3 days.
- In a medium size mixing bowl using an electric mixer, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the orange curd and scrape the filling into the prepared pie shell.
- Cover the pie with plastic wrap and refrigerate it until the filling is completely set, at least 6 hours and up to 1 day.
I made this for a dinner party and my guests loved it as much as I did. Keep them coming.