Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I haven't tried this yet but it looks perfect for accompanying anything off the grill.
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, torn
- 1 medium navel orange, peeled and sectioned
- 1 small red onion, sliced and seperated into rings
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- On a serving platter, arrange the torn romaine, orange sections and red onion rings.
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Shake well and drizzle the dressing over salad.
- Serve at once.
- Note: You can make the salad a few hours ahead, keep it snugly covered and chilled until ready to use, and dress it at serving time.
This went perfectly with stuffed pasta shells but the
best part was I had it prepped in under 5 minutes.
Added in a few arugula leaves, too and resisted added
other ingredients as suggested by other reviewers. Reviewed
for Veg Tag February.
Thanks for posting Annacia. This salad is a fast prep and the combo of the red onion and orange is fantastic. It makes for a pretty presentation. I made it as written so as to taste the flavors without additions. The only reason for 4 stars is the dressing is not as flavorful as one would expect. It felt like the dressing needed more tang. It is a smooth almost unnoticeable dressing that does not detract from the salad combo. Next time I would add more vinegar and salt or seasonings. I think. Overall it is a good salad to accompany a main dish you want to highlight. Made for I Recommend Tag Jan/Feb 2012. Enjoy! ChefDLH
a yummy salad. I subbed in baby spinach for the romaine, and used a maple balsamic glaze as the base for the dressing. Delicious. Next time i will add some nuts