Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Here is another Moroccan salad dish from “The World of Spice”. Serve this with other salads I’ve posted (such as Lemon Salad, Spicy Carrot Salad and Grilled Green Pepper & Tomato Salad) for an authentic set of appetisers. Recipe posted for Zaar World Tour 2005.
- 6 -8 oranges
- 20 kalamata olives, stoned
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or at least 1/2 lemon's worth)
- 1 pinch ground cumin, to taste
- 1 pinch chili powder, to taste
- 1 teaspoon superfine sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Cut the peel and pith from the oranges, then divide into segments (reserving any juice) leaving them whole or chopped as preferred.
- In a bowl mix with olives with the orange segments and juice, add the lemon juice, cumin, chilli powder, sugar and salt.
- Serve chilled.
I have been making this salad for years. it is always a hit! My version of it is a bit different: I add a couple of finely chopped garlic cloves, and instead of chilipowder, I use harissa paste. The result is fruity and spicy! /Martina
Very good, Caroline. My in-laws just returned from Florida with a huge bag of oranges, and I had some Kalamatas that needed to be used up, so I was quite happy to find this recipe! I not only removed the pith, I additionally took the layer of 'skin' off the sections. The presenation was a little messy looking (see my picture), but it released more juice and blended beautifully with the spices. As for the Kalamatas, I think that this salad can stand on its own without them. Personally, I like the olives and think they go great with the oranges. DH however, does not like them a whole lot, so I removed them from his serving...salad was still good! And I think I agree with the spice comments....I guess it depends on the size of your 'pinch'. I would think for the posted 6-8 servings, it would have to be a pretty generous pinch.
Took Kumquat's advice and upped the spice a bit and did remove all pith from the oranges. This was part of an array of Moroccan appetizers and worked wonderfully. Thanks, Caroline!