4 hrs 30 mins
The gravy is a refined, delicious sauce in this duo from Barbara Shinn and David Page, co-owners of Home restaurant in New York and co-authors of Recipes from Home. From Bob Appetit, November 2002.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon dried tarragon
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds, coarsely crushed
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 14 lbs turkey
- 1 large orange, quartered
- 1 onion, peeled, quartered (optional)
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled, cut horizontally in half (optional)
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch lengths (optional)
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
- 2 fresh sage sprigs (optional)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 5 cups about low sodium chicken broth
- 4 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup minced onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large gala apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 2 small bay leaves, torn into pieces
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds, coarsely crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1For turkey:.
- 2Mix first 6 ingredients in small bowl.
- 3Rinse turkey inside and out; pat dry.
- 4Place on rack set in large roasting pan.
- 5Rub inside of main cavity and neck cavity with orange quarters (reserve orange quarters); sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 6Rub herb butter over outside of turkey. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.).
- 7Set rack at lowest position in oven and preheat to 350°F
- 8If not stuffing turkey, fill main cavity and neck cavity with orange quarters, onion, garlic, celery, thyme sprigs, and sage sprigs.
- 9If stuffing turkey, spoon stuffing loosely into both cavities.
- 10Tuck wing tips under; tie legs together loosely to hold shape.
- 11Mix orange juice and Dijon mustard in small bowl; pour into pan around turkey.
- 12Place turkey in oven with tail at back.
- 13Roast turkey 45 minutes.
- 14Add 2 cups broth to pan; baste turkey.
- 15Turn pan around.
- 16Roast turkey 45 minutes.
- 17Add 1 cup broth; baste with pan juices.
- 18Turn pan around and cover turkey loosely with foil.
- 19Continue to roast until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175°F, basting with 1 cup broth and rotating pan every 45 minutes, about 1 hour 45 minutes longer if unstuffed and 2 hours 15 minutes longer if stuffed.
- 20Transfer turkey to platter; let stand 30 minutes (internal temperature will increase 5 to 10 degrees).
- 21For gravy:.
- 22Strain pan juices into 8-cup measuring cup.
- 23Spoon off fat.
- 24Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- 25Add onion; saute 3 minutes.
- 26Add flour and stir until golden, about 5 minutes.
- 27Whisk in apple and all remaining ingredients, then pan juices.
- 28Bring gravy to boil.
- 29Reduce heat to medium and simmer until gravy thickens, whisking occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- 30Season gravy with salt and pepper.
- 31Serve turkey with gravy.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange- and Mustard-Basted Turkey With Apple Cider-Mustard Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (1192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1477.9
- Calories from Fat 688
- Total Fat 76.4 g
- Saturated Fat 25.1 g
- Cholesterol 569.6 mg
- Sodium 1301.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 169.0 g