3 hrs 10 mins
Perfectionist cook's Note:
This is from the Australian Gourmet Traveller and is a slight variation on the standard macaroon by being sandwiched together with a milk chocolate ganache. I haven't tried this yet but will edit my post when I do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 240 g desiccated coconut
- 110 g caster sugar (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, finely-grated
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 60 g unsalted butter, chopped (no substitutes)
- 180 g milk chocolate (use the best quality you can find or use dark if you prefer)
- 1For filling, combine cream and butter in a saucepan and bring just to the boil.
- 2Remove from heat and add chocolate. Stir until smooth and refrigerate until thick. (About 3 hours).
- 3Meanwhile for biscuits, combine all ingredients and stir until mixture comes together.
- 4Flatten mixture between two pieces of plastic wrap until 3-4mm thick.
- 5Using a 4cm pastry cutter, cut out rounds and carefully lift onto a baking paper-lined oven tray. When finished, gather all scraps together and repeat process until all the mixture is used.
- 6Bake the macaroons at 170 degrees centigrade until just beginning to colour around the edges, about 10-12 minutes.
- 7Cool on trays and then sandwich together flat sides of macaroons with a teaspoon of filling per biscuit.
- 8These biscuits will keep, refrigerated, in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange and Milk Chocolate Macaroons
Serving Size: 1 (777 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 154.7
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 15.1 mg
- Sodium 41.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 1.4 g