Prep 30 mins
Cook 9 mins
My favorite sugar cookie recipe was taken from Crisco and I play with it by adding different flavors. This is our favorite version.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup Butter Flavor Crisco
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 tablespoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind
- 3 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Combine sugar and shortening in large bowl. I use a "cutting" tool. Add eggs, syrup, vanilla, orange, and lemon rind. Blend well.
- In a seperate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Stir this well and then gradually add to sugar mixture.
- Form 4 balls and let chill at least an hour. Lightly flour surface of countertop, top of dough ball, and rolling pin and roll about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut shapes and place on cookie sheet 1-2 inches apart.
- If I'm making small cookies I bake at 375F no longer than 5 minutes and for larger cookies no longer than 9.
- After these cool I ice them with an icing make from powdered sugar, skim milk, corn syrup and vanilla extract (plus food coloring) and decorate with white cream cheese icing.