Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A fruity yogurt cake with orange glaze.
- 1 cup diced kiwi (4 to 6 kiwi fruits)
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (See *)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temp
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 8 ounces plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 tablespoons water
- preheat oven to 350.
- grease/flour a bundt, 13x9, or 2 loaf pans.
- *Forcoffee cake, omit baking soda and give 5 or 10 minutes more bake time.
- dice kiwi, drain and squeeze oranges.
- mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and set aside.
- beat butter, sugar, orange extract, and peppermint extract in large bowl until creamy.
- beat in egg whites and yogurt.
- beat in flour, then orange and kiwi.
- bake 50-60 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- cool on wire rack ten minutes, invert and cool completely.
- glaze the cake.
This is a very nice, moist cake. I had my doubts about combining peppermint with kiwi and orange but decided to try it anyway and was pleasantly surprised. I baked it in my Bundt pan and since it was just for the family, I didn't put on the glaze as we are trying to watch how much sugar we eat. Even without the glaze, it was exceptional.
Made as muffins, very good! Used whole eggs and no peppermint! The glaze made them even better!