Recipe by Jesse Crockett
A fruity yogurt cake with orange glaze.
Top Review by Irmgard
This is a very nice, moist cake. I had my doubts about combining peppermint with kiwi and orange but decided to try it anyway and was pleasantly surprised. I baked it in my Bundt pan and since it was just for the family, I didn't put on the glaze as we are trying to watch how much sugar we eat. Even without the glaze, it was exceptional.
- 1 cup diced kiwi (4 to 6 kiwi fruits)
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (See *)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temp
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 8 ounces plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 350.
- grease/flour a bundt, 13x9, or 2 loaf pans.
- *Forcoffee cake, omit baking soda and give 5 or 10 minutes more bake time.
- dice kiwi, drain and squeeze oranges.
- mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and set aside.
- beat butter, sugar, orange extract, and peppermint extract in large bowl until creamy.
- beat in egg whites and yogurt.
- beat in flour, then orange and kiwi.
- bake 50-60 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- cool on wire rack ten minutes, invert and cool completely.
- glaze the cake.