Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are just satisfying. As the story goes the recipe came from an old cook book my Grandmother had. They're also great using dried cranberries instead of Dates, and wholewheat flour instead of all purpose.
- 1 large orange, quartered and including peel
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup natural bran
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix baking soda, baking powder, salt, flour, sugar and bran in a bowl.
- Blend orange including peel, egg, butter and orange juice.
- Add blended ingredients to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Add chopped dates to mixture.
- Spray muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
This recipe is by Edna Staebler and included in her 2nd cookbook, "More Food That Really Schmecks" published in 1979. Edna was a friend of my mothers and we have been making these muffins for more than 30 years!