Recipe by stormylee
Fresh-tasting, delicious vegetarian salad! Recipe adapted from Complete Vegetarian Cookbook. I usually use a bit less couscous than called for and throw in a whole can of chickpeas.
Top Review by lauralie41
This is a great salad! I made 2 servings, added the raisins, and used orange juice instead of extract for the dressing. Next time will have to make all 4 servings as everyone tasted and wanted mine! Thank you stormylee!
- 175 g couscous
- 1 bunch spring onion
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 10 cm piece cucumbers
- 175 g chickpeas (canned or cooked)
- 50 ml sultanas (optional) or 50 ml raisins (optional)
- 2 oranges
- black pepper
- lettuce leaf, to serve
- of fresh mint, to garnish
- 150 ml plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped of fresh mint
- 1 orange, zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop spring onions, bell pepper, and cucumber. Rinse and drain canned chickpeas.
- Prepare couscous according to the instructions on the package (I put the couscous in a bowl, cover with boiling water, and leave to soak for about 15 minutes, then stir with a fork).
- Add spring onions, bell pepper, cucumber, chickpeas and sultanas, stirring to combine. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Mix dressing ingredients together, pour over couscous mixture and stir to combine.
- Using a sharp knife, remove the peel and pith from the oranges. Cut them into segments, removing all the membrane. You can catch any juice in a bowl and stir it through the salad.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on plates, divide the couscous mixture between the plates and arrange the orange segments on top. Garnish with mint and serve.