Recipe by ladyirony
Rich, delicious, shortbread-like take on the chocolate chip cookie. Adapted from an ad in Reader's Digest at least a decade ago. Theirs were called "Orange-Ginger Holiday Cookies" and had no chocolate.
- 1 cup butter (or 1/2 c. butter and 1/2 c. canola oil)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel or 2 tablespoons orange extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375°F
- Beat together all ingredients except flour and chocolate chips; mix well. Stir in flour to form a dough. Mix in chocolate chips. If dough is too crumbly, add milk a tablespoon or two at a time until consistency improves.
- Form cookies into balls about the size of golf balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. These cookies do not spread much, so you can place the dough balls fairly close together.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until set but not brown. Let cool and serve.