Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 mins
Entered for safe-keeping, from "The Best Bread Machine Cookbook Ever: Ethnic Breads" by Madge Rosenberg. She included this in "Breads of the Caribbean and Latin America".
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups bread flour
- 3 tablespoons wheat germ
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons orange zest, grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Add all ingredients in the order suggested by your bread machine manual and process on the bread cycle recommended in the manual.
I added 1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten, and the bread had a tender inside crumb and a nice crust outside. Next time I'll reduce the cinnamon to 1/2 teaspoon to allow more of the orange to shine through. I really liked the chocolate and orange together. I believe this would be equally good with finely chopped pecans instead of the wheat germ. Tagged for Rookie Recipes; due 03/03/14 with extension.