Recipe by Elly in Canada
I love anything with a citrus flavour, these squares are very nice with an orange flavoured shortbread base topped with a chewy orange and nut topping. The original recipe is entered, I have used other nuts - walnuts, pecans, macadamias. Source: Homemakers Magazine
Top Review by andypandy
I used brazil nuts which I tried my best to slice real thin. These squares are so good, just like orange thick glazed shortbread cookies. Cant imagine them with any other nut now either. Cant eat just one, great with a hot cup of tea.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 cup brazil nut (flaked or sliced)
Directions See How It's Made
- In bowl, beat together 1/2 cup/125 mL of the butter with icing sugar until light and fluffy; beat in rind.
- Whisk together flour, cardamom (if using) and salt; stir into butter mixture in 2 additions.
- Line 9-inch/ 2.5 L square metal cake pan with parchment paper, leaving 1-inch/2.5 cm hanging over sides.
- With floured hands, pat dough into pan. Bake in centre of 350°F/180°C oven until lightly coloured, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan, bring remaining butter, brown sugar, orange juice and marmalade to boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in nuts.
- Spread over cookie base; bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, about 5 minutes; lift from pan and, using chef's knife, cut into squares. Let cool on rack.