Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
An unusual but very tasty soup. The yoghurt contrasts with the deep ruby soup wonderfully
- 200 g plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped chives
- 500 g small beetroots, scrubbed and trimmed
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 orange, juice of
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 liter vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons single cream
- Mix yoghurt and half the chives. Spooninto an ice cube tray and freeze until solid.
- Place beetroot on a pan, cover with water and boil for 45 mins or until easy to pierce with a knife.
- When cool remove skins and chop.
- Heat olive oil and add onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Saute for 10 mins then add beetroot, vinegar, zest and stock.
- Simmer for 10 mins then puree. Stir in cream and season if needed.
- Transfer to bowls/cups and drop a yoghurt cube in each one and sprinkle with the remaining chives.
Fantastic - local farmer gave me a load of beetroots and I was looking for inspiration. This was perfect, although I did add leeks, carrots and celery with the onions as a base. Looks so pretty, tastes fabulous. Thank you.