1/1 Photo of Orange and Almond Spanish Cake
1 hr 20 mins
The first time I tasted this cake I couldn't believe it was possible to make a cake that is so light and yet holds up so well without any flour. The syrup makes it very moist as well. It would be perfect as a gourmet birthday cake for anyone with gluten or flour allergies. When they are in season, Seville oranges are recommended.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 eggs, separated
- 240 g caster sugar
- 230 g almonds, almost finely ground
- 3 oranges, finely grated zest of
- 1Preheat the oven to 180 C or 350 F.
- 2Line a 23 cm spring-form tin on the bottom and sides with greaseproof paper.
- 3Keeping 1 tbsp of caster sugar aside for later, mix the egg yolks and sugar together until pale.
- 4Then add the almonds and zest.
- 5Beat the egg whites and remaining tablespoon of sugar until stiff.
- 6Carefully fold into the sugar-egg mixture, trying not to knock the air out of the whites.
- 7The egg yolk/sugar mixture will seem quite stiff at first, but keep folding in the egg whites and it will soon loosen up.
- 8Gently ease the batter into the lined tin.
- 9Place on the middle shelf of your oven and bake for 60-70 minutes until it is golden on top and firm to touch.
- 10While the torte is in the oven, make the syrup by placing the orange juice, lemon juice and cinnamon in a saucepan with a handful of sugar.
- 11Bring to a gentle boil and simmer for about five minutes.
- 13The syrup should be quite tart.
- 14Cool and place in the fridge.
- 15When the torte is ready, remove from the oven and cool completely on a rack before opening the springform tin.
- 16Transfer to a plate and pierce four small holes in the top of the cake.
- 17Pour half the syrup over the top and serve with the rest of the syrup on the side.
- 18If you are making the cake ahead of time, I usually wait until a few hours before serving to pour the syrup over.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange and Almond Spanish Cake
Serving Size: 1 (377 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 600.9
- Calories from Fat 254
- Total Fat 28.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 211.5 mg
- Sodium 218.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.9 g
- Sugars 63.9 g
- Protein 18.3 g