1/1 Photo of Orange and Almond Spanish Cake
1 hr 20 mins
The first time I tasted this cake I couldn't believe it was possible to make a cake that is so light and yet holds up so well without any flour. The syrup makes it very moist as well. It would be perfect as a gourmet birthday cake for anyone with gluten or flour allergies. When they are in season, Seville oranges are recommended.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 eggs, separated
- 240 g caster sugar
- 230 g almonds, almost finely ground
- 2 1/2 oranges, finely grated zest of
- 1Preheat the oven to 180 C or 350 F.
- 2Line a 23 cm spring-form tin on the bottom and sides with greaseproof paper.
- 3Keeping 1 tbsp of caster sugar aside for later, mix the egg yolks and sugar together until pale.
- 4Then add the almonds and zest.
- 5Beat the egg whites and remaining tablespoon of sugar until stiff.
- 6Carefully fold into the sugar-egg mixture, trying not to knock the air out of the whites.
- 7The egg yolk/sugar mixture will seem quite stiff at first, but keep folding in the egg whites and it will soon loosen up.
- 8Gently ease the batter into the lined tin.
- 9Place on the middle shelf of your oven and bake for 60-70 minutes until it is golden on top and firm to touch.
- 10While the torte is in the oven, make the syrup by placing the orange juice, lemon juice and cinnamon in a saucepan with a handful of sugar.
- 11Bring to a gentle boil and simmer for about five minutes.
- 13The syrup should be quite tart.
- 14Cool and place in the fridge.
- 15When the torte is ready, remove from the oven and cool completely on a rack before opening the springform tin.
- 16Transfer to a plate and pierce four small holes in the top of the cake.
- 17Pour half the syrup over the top and serve with the rest of the syrup on the side.
- 18If you are making the cake ahead of time, I usually wait until a few hours before serving to pour the syrup over.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange and Almond Spanish Cake
Serving Size: 1 (377 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 600.9
- Calories from Fat 254
- Total Fat 28.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 211.5 mg
- Sodium 218.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.9 g
- Sugars 63.9 g
- Protein 18.3 g