Recipe by Cat R.
From the Sainsbury seasonal selection of recipes. I haven't tried this yet but am looking forward to. If anyone finds out how many eggs makes 75ml of white, share your discovery (or I will when I get round to it)!
- 200 g caster sugar
- 30 g granulated sugar
- 100 g ground almonds
- 15 g rice flour (it should be ground rice, not sure if this is the same as rice flour)
- 75 ml egg whites
- 1 small orange, zest of (or clementine)
- sliced almonds (for decorating the tops)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350F, 180C, GM4.
- Sift the sugars, almonds and ground rice into a bowl.
- Add the egg white and orange zest, beat thoroughly with an electric beater for 5 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to stand for 10 minutes, then continue beating for a further 5 minutes.
- Pile the mixture into a piping bag, fitted with a 2.5cm plain piping nozzle.
- Pipe the mixture onto bakewell or rice paper. Press a flaked almond onto the top of each macaroon.
- Bake until light brown (20-25 min).