1/7 Photos of Orange and Almond Crumble Christmas Mince Pies
French Tart's Note:
Delicious little pies that combine an orange short crust pastry base with mincemeat filling and an almond crumble topping. Serve these warm with whipped cream or brandy butter. This recipe can be made in to one large pie - but I still prefer the dainty individual mini pies! I have two mincemeat recipes posted that can be used in these pies, if you are unable to source good quality commercial mincemeat locally. Traditional British Mincemeat for Christmas Mince Pies! or Traditional British Boozy Mincemeat - Fat Free. Don't forget to leave a couple out for Father Christmas on Christmas Eve!
My Private Note
Mini Mi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 100 g butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 175 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 orange, zest of, finely grated
- 250 g good quality mincemeat, preferably home-made
- 1Make the pastry in a large bowl or food processor by blending the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- 2Stir in the sugar and orange zest and then 2 tbsp water.
- 3Bring the mixture together with your hands, adding a few more drops of water if it feels a little dry.
- 4Preheat the oven to 180C/375F/gas 4.
- 5Roll out half the pastry (keep the other half wrapped in the fridge) on a lightly floured surface. You want the pastry to be very thin, so it is crisp when cooked.
- 6Cut out 12 circles of pastry with a plain 6cm cutter (you will need to re-roll the pastry a couple of times) and use to line a 12-hole, non-stick cup cake or mini muffin tin.
- 7(It is quite a soft pastry, so any little gaps that form as you are lining the holes can easily be patched up.).
- 8Chill while you make the topping.
- 9In a small bowl, make the crumble topping by rubbing the butter into the flour until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and almonds.
- 10With a teaspoon, fill each pastry case with mincemeat, gently pressing it down to leave room for the topping.
- 11Sprinkle the topping over each pie, place the tin on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or until the topping is golden.
- 12Leave the pies to cool in the tin before taking them out carefully. They are fragile when hot, so use a small knife to help lift them out.
- 13Unless you have two tins, repeat the process with the second batch of pastry, filling and topping.
- 14Eat the mini mince pies warm or cold, lightly dusted with icing sugar and served with whipped cream or brandy butter.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange and Almond Crumble Christmas Mince Pies
Serving Size: 1 (859 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 126.7
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 13.3 mg
- Sodium 42.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 1.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of