Recipe by FlemishMinx
Try this one when you are looking for something a bit unusual and out of the ordinary. A recipe by British chef Antony Worrall Thompson which I saw prepared on a BBC cooking program. I was intrigued by boiling then using the oranges whole, but admit that it makes for a well-flavored cake. I love the mascarpone cream as well because I cannot eat whipped cream but the mascarpone gives me very nearly the same mouth feel, and I find it delicious ! Preparation time includes the time to boil the oranges, but remember to PLAN in ADVANCE! As for the vanilla sugar, there are several recipes here on 'Zaar if you are unable to buy this at your local grocery.
Top Review by Abby Girl
You have to love the strong taste of orange before you would like this dessert....and if you serve it, realize that not all your guests are going to like it. We had 10 people at our table. Some absolutely loved it....others found that the tatste was way too strong. I didn't care for the finish product of the marscarpone cream, so I added 3/4 cup of whipping cream and beat it with my mixer until it was smooth and enjoyed my version alot better. But even after saying that, I found that the delicate marscarpone cream flavor got lost on this very intense dessert. My DH loved this recipe, and would have given it a 4 star rating, but infortunately, I was one of the people who found this way too strong! Sorry, I probably would not make this one again!
FOR THE CAKE
- 2 large oranges
- 200 g sugar
- 200 g ground almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice only
FOR THE MASCARPONE CREAM
- 250 g mascarpone
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE CAKE:.
- Place the whole oranges in a pan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for two hours.
- Check periodically that they don't boil dry and add water if needed.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C Grease and line with baking paper (including sides) a 20 cm (8 inch) springform pan.
- Remove the oranges from the water; cut in half and remove any pips.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, ground almonds, and baking powder until well mixed.
- Place the oranges in a food processor, skin and all, along with the lemon juice, and puree till the oranges are well broken down.
- To the food processor, add half of the eggs and half of the almond/sugar mixture; process until well combined.
- Add the remaining three eggs and the remaining almond mixture and process till thoroughly combined, scraping sides of bowl, as necessary.
- Transfer batter to the springform pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Let cake cool before serving, and serve with a generous dollop of the mascarpone cream.
- FOR THE MASCARPONE CREAM:.
- Transfer the mascarpone to a bowl, and soften with a spatula until smooth.
- Add the vanilla sugar and incorporate completely.
- It is now ready to serve!