Recipe by Annacia
This is a cake longing for a crowd and a BBQ get together or Cinco De Mayo. Something just a little bit different to light up your life.
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate piece
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon light-color corn syrup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried ancho chile powder or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice or 1⁄4 cup orange liqueur
- 1⁄4 cup whipped cream
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet chocolate morsel
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel (optional)
Orange Whipped Cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine chocolate pieces, water, the 2 tablespoons butter, the corn syrup, and ancho chile powder. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat the 1 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Beat in flour mixture just until combined.
- Divide batter into two equal portions- to one portion, add the 1 tablespoon orange peel and the 2 tablespoons orange juice; mix well. To the other portion, add chocolate mixture; mix well. Spoon batters, half at a time, into the prepared pan, alternating orange and chocolate batters.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan.
- Using a long-tined fork, poke the cake all over. Brush or drizzle with the 1/4 cup orange juice. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Prepare Chocolate-Orange Ganache and Orange Whipped Cream:.
- Spoon the ganache over cake and, if desired, sprinkle with additional finely shredded orange peel. Serve with the whipped cream. Makes 12 to 16 servings.
- CHOCOLATE ORANGE GANACHE: In a small saucepan, heat 1/4 cup whipping cream over medium-high heat just until boiling. Remove from heat. Add 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces; do not stir.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel. If necessary, cool for 15 minutes to thicken.
- ORANGE WHIPPED CREAM: In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup whipping cream, 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Fold in 2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel.