Top Review by Chuck Chalker
I modified this recipe for our church's womens ministry and received rave reviews. I doubled the amount of toasted almonds, replaced the mushrooms with sliced celery, added a equal amount of vinegar(missing from the original recipe)as the sugar, and deleted the egg yoke. The salad was plated on dark red and black plates which made the colors really pop. The salad was quick,easy,inexpensive and looked and tasted great.
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, slivered
- 2 onions, green,chopped
- 1 lettuce, romaine
- 1 cup mandarin orange, drained
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon, dried
- 1⁄3 cup oil, vegetable
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 egg yolk
Directions See How It's Made
- Shaking constantly, toast almonds in skillet over low heat till golden brown (about 5 minutes).
- Wash and dry lettuce.
- Tear into bite size pieces.
- Place with green onions and mandarin oranges in large salad bowl.
- Dressing: Combine all ingredients but egg and vinegar, add in thin stream and process till well blended.
- Just before serving, toss well.
- Leftover dressing keeps up to 1 week in fridge.