Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon almond flavored liqueur or 1 teaspoon almond extract, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup whole blanched almond
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Beat powdered sugar and butter in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in orange peel and liqueur.
- Set aside 24 whole almonds.
- Place remaining cooled almonds in food processor.
- Process using on/off pulsing action until almonds are ground, but not pasty.
- Place ground almonds, flour and salt in medium bowl; stir to combine.
- Gradually add to butter mixture.
- Beat with electric mixer at low speed until well blended.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface.
- Roll out dough with lightly floured rolling pin to just under 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut dough with floured 2 1/2-inch fluted or round cookie cutter.
- Place dough 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Lightly brush tops of cookies with beaten egg.
- Press 1 whole reserved almond in center of each cookie.
- Brush almond lightly with beaten egg.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Let cookies stand 1 minute on cookie sheets.
- Remove cookies with spatula to wire racks; cool completely.
- Store tightly covered at room temperature, or freeze up for 3 months.
- Notes:*To toast almonds, spread in single layer on baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated 350*F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until brown, stirring twice.