Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Not your average chicken soup, this Thai-inspired take gets spiced up with fresh garlic, ginger, green curry, coriander, cumin, cilantro, shallots and jalapeños, if you please. Courtesy Rori Trovato
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 tablespoon green curry paste
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3⁄4 cup cilantro leaves and stems, plus additional
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish, loosely packed
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3⁄4 cup shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 jalapeno, sliced into rings (optional)
- 1 tomato, small, seeded and diced, for garnish
- 1⁄2 cup coconut flakes, freshly shaved and toasted, for garnish
- In a large heavy-bottom pot over high heat, combine chicken stock, garlic, ginger, curry paste, coriander, cumin, peppercorns and cilantro.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Strain broth over a bowl through a fine-mesh sieve; discard solids.
- Return broth to pot; add coconut milk, shallots, mushrooms and chicken.
- Return to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and jalapeño, if desired; stir until sugar is dissolved, then add mixture to soup.
- Garnish with tomato, coconut shavings and cilantro; serve hot.