Recipe by Sayster
Not your average chicken soup, this Thai-inspired take gets spiced up with fresh garlic, ginger, green curry, coriander, cumin, cilantro, shallots and jalapeños, if you please. Courtesy Rori Trovato
Top Review by smvirden
Excellent recipe, tho I'm a low-maintenance cook so I altered it a bit to eliminate the straining step. I minced the garlic and ginger, I added 1tsp each of powdered coriander & cumin + some regular black pepper. I also used a bouillon cube of cilantro (picked up a pkg last year at an Asian market) because I didn't have fresh. Worked great! I omitted mushrooms. I added thinly sliced circles of carrots--lots of them (surprised this recipe doesn't include veggies!) and 2" lengths of fresh asparagus (tossed in with the chicken and came out just right with a bit of crunch). I probably used less fish sauce, and no sugar (tho I think I used coconut cream instead of milk). Forgot the lime juice, but won't next time. None of those garnishes sounded good, so I skipped them. Served over white rice. TASTY.
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 tablespoon green curry paste
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3⁄4 cup cilantro leaves and stems, plus additional
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish, loosely packed
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3⁄4 cup shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 jalapeno, sliced into rings (optional)
- 1 tomatoes, small, seeded and diced, for garnish
- 1⁄2 cup coconut flakes, freshly shaved and toasted, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy-bottom pot over high heat, combine chicken stock, garlic, ginger, curry paste, coriander, cumin, peppercorns and cilantro.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Strain broth over a bowl through a fine-mesh sieve; discard solids.
- Return broth to pot; add coconut milk, shallots, mushrooms and chicken.
- Return to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and jalapeño, if desired; stir until sugar is dissolved, then add mixture to soup.
- Garnish with tomato, coconut shavings and cilantro; serve hot.