Not your average chicken soup, this Thai-inspired take gets spiced up with fresh garlic, ginger, green curry, coriander, cumin, cilantro, shallots and jalapeños, if you please. Courtesy Rori Trovato
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 tablespoon green curry paste
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3/4 cup cilantro leaves and stems, plus additional
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish, loosely packed
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3/4 cup shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 jalapeno, sliced into rings (optional)
- 1 tomato, small, seeded and diced, for garnish
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes, freshly shaved and toasted, for garnish
- 1In a large heavy-bottom pot over high heat, combine chicken stock, garlic, ginger, curry paste, coriander, cumin, peppercorns and cilantro.
- 2Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- 3Strain broth over a bowl through a fine-mesh sieve; discard solids.
- 4Return broth to pot; add coconut milk, shallots, mushrooms and chicken.
- 5Return to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 6In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and jalapeño, if desired; stir until sugar is dissolved, then add mixture to soup.
- 7Garnish with tomato, coconut shavings and cilantro; serve hot.
Browse Our Top Thai Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Thai Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oprah's Thai Chicken Coconut Curry Soup
Serving Size: 1 (454 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.6
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 30.4 mg
- Sodium 1102.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 17.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green curry paste
cilantro leaves and stems