Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Low-fat, good chowder. We have had this several times hubby just loves it.
Make and share this Oprah's Corn Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- light vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 cups fresh corn (12 ears, with any milk collected when removed from the cob)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Spray sauce pan with the cooking spray.
- Sauté the onion for about 5 minutes.
- until translucent.
- Add 4 cups of the corn and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until it softens a bit.
- Add 2 cups of chicken stock and cook until the corn can be mashed easily with a fork, about 20 minutes.
- Put the contents of the pan into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour the puree back into the saucepan heat on medium-low.
- Add the bell pepper, rosemary, thyme, black pepper, cayenne pepper and the remaining 1 cup chicken stock and 2 cups corn.
- Stir and cook for about 10 minutes, until the chowder is thick and creamy.
- Top with basil.
Hearty and wonderful tasting! I used water instead of chicken stock to make this vegetarian, and used green bell peppers and dried rosemary and basil, since that's all I had on hand. I crushed the dried herbs before adding them to the chowder, which really causes the flavours to burst out beautifully! I will definitely make this again; thanks Braunda!
Overall, good recipe. A little thick for me so I added extra water. Also, a little light on flavor so I ended up adding some curry powder which made it excellent. Overall, will be making again. Thanks!!
This recipe is a keeper. It's quick to make (I used frozen corn), is nice and creamy without the cream, and tastes wonderful. Thanks!