Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
I found this in a magazine a while back and have been using it since! Very good . Oprah's Classic Potatoes
- 2 1⁄2 lbs red potatoes
- 2 1⁄2 lbs idaho potatoes
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups creamy pureed horseradish
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh black pepper, ground
- Wash potatoes well, leaving the skins on.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Place in a kettle and fill with enough water to cover potatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are very tender.
- Drain well and add butter while potatoes are hot. Begin to hand mash.
- Add all remaining ingredients and mash well leaving them just slightly lumpy.
- Makes about 10-12 cups or 6 to 8 servings.
Made this for Thanksgiving. My guests all *loved* it. I was reaching for my water glass a couple of times, because the horseradish was a little strong. So if you are sensitive, add a little at a time til you hit your "taste" just to be sure.
I tested this out for my family's Christmas dinner and it came out great. I agree that the cream seems to cancel out the horseradish's spiciness, and it never seemed overwhelming at any point. My daughter sensed spicy right away and wouldn't touch it. I'm confident most of my family will love this.